Monday, June 3, 2013

Gallery Idol Round 2: Defining Dad


I am crazy excited to be part of the Gallery Idol Top 20 this year. During past two years' competition since I started papercrafting, I remembered being so in awe of what people were making and I discovered designers who are still among my favorites today. So it's an honor -- a HUMONGOUS one -- to be part of it this year!

The theme for the round 2 was "Defining Dad". It sounds an easy and common theme, especially around this time of the year.  But the more I think about it, the more confused I was.  How do I define Dad exactly? What is the quintessential essence of "Dad"??  You know when you think about same thing over and over--all the possible permutations start to blend. 
 I started to look it up, google it, and pinterest it.  There are so many characteristics and personalities.  They have different life experiences and hobbies. How can I put all these in one card?  At the end, I decided to think about my dad. Then I gained clarity.  So here it is...

My card...



That was my dad.  He was the anchor of my family and his siblings and their families.  He was always the person everybody came to.  

I used the anchor and the sentiment from Avery Elle Knotty stamp set as the focus of the card.  'DAD' was selective inking with the sentiment ''THANKSDAD' from The man set.  To add a little bit more nautical feel, I stamped red and blue stripes from Celebrate set, and added some die cut stars.


I'm usually pretty low-key, but if there's any time to make an exception, it's probably now. So here's my cheer: Go to the Gallery Idol contest page and VOTE!!


And thank you,  honestly, thank you sooooooo much, for all the love and support you've given me over the past few days. By far that's been the highlight of this whole thing. I can't tell you how much your kindness has meant.


Supplies:
cardstock: 
Avery Elle card stock
Stamp: Avery Elle Knotty Clear photopolymer stamp set, Celebrate clear photopolymer stamp set; The man stamp set;

Ink: Fresh sky tomato red, Turquoise;  Tsukineko Rich Cocoa;

Die: Simon Says holiday shapes Star and heart;
Other: Copic markers


Pin It

20 comments:

Kim S said...

Congrats to you!!! This is a fabulous round 2 entry!

Kim M said...

Great card, Chunyuan! Love that anchor stamp and great design. Good luck!

Annette said...

Awesome card.. Good Luck

Amanda Coleman said...

This card is so well composed! Your stamping is fantastic and I love the anchor theme! Good luck!

Geri said...

Hey, great minds think alike....right? Your card is absolutely fabulous too - I love how you worded your sentiment!

Best of luck to you too! Are you as nervous as I am???

Giovana Smith said...

Colors, layout, sentiment, perfect!!

Rachel W K said...

this is a wonderful card, and holds such a special meaning for your family. good luck!!
-Rachel w k
rwkrafts.com

Virginia L. said...

AWESOME take on the challenge, Chunyuan! I love how you used the stamped image and colors! Beautifully designed and crafted! Perhaps you, Nina and I should get together and have a conversation in Mandarin! Wouldn't that be COOL!? So glad that you are one of the Top 20 as you are so talented and well-deserved! Good luck on this round!

Lynn said...

I love this clean, crisp design....fabulous Chunyuan!

melania deasy said...

Chunyuan....love this!!! amazing simple design, fantastic card!

Queenie said...

This card is super trendy and fabulous!! Love it! I am soo happy to be designing with you! You're UBER talented!! Good Luck sweet friend!

Jocelyn Olson said...

Just beautiful, Chunyan! The sentiment, the design, the cool stripes...it's awesome! *Hugs* to you my friend!

Gayatri said...

Love love the clean and simple design. I particularly like the stripes on the sides:) All the best, Chunyan!

Avery Elle said...

Good Luck Chunyuan! LOVE this card!

Katie Ann Brooks said...

Great card! I love the stars in the corner, they just complete this perfectly! Good luck!

Jennifer Rzasa said...

I love your card! The stripes and stars are the perfect touch :)

Amy Kolling said...

So incredibly simple and really packs a punch! I love the addition of the stars in the corner with the stripes....perfect Dad card! So happy to be sharing this journey with you! Good luck!! :)

donna mikasa said...

I love the nautical theme and those fabulous stars! Lots of luck, Chunyuan!

Taheerah (*LittleMissT*) said...

Such a cool card Chunyuan!! My favourite part is actually the two diagonal stripes on the right. Unexpected, a perfect pop of colour, and really ups the factor of this card to the fab!! Best of luck with this round!!

Karolyn at Paper Therapy said...

Chunyuan, your project is perfect! I love that thinking of your own dad brought clarity to what you wanted to do! Wishing you the best in this and future rounds!